Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Is This Your Year?



This blog is about writing, so naturally you would think I’m talking about “your year” as the one when you will sit down on your chair and start writing, or complete a manuscript you have started.

Yes, I am talking about writing, not only for you but for myself as well. We all probably could spend more time seated firmly on our chairs in front of a keyboard or a piece of paper with a pen.

There are other projects, however, that I imagine you can think about that you want to do and have been putting off for one reason or another.

I’m not one to make New Year’s Resolutions, but there is usually something on my mind that I want to accomplish, complete or even begin. Actually starting whatever it is we’ve thought about is the tough part, isn’t it?

We hear a lot about “baby steps,” and I’m going to talk about that, too. Sit down with a notebook and list everything that is connected to your project, whether it’s a book or a garden.

Write down all the steps involved, and then decide on one that would be a start. It doesn’t have to be a major step. It could be as simple as buying a packet of seeds or buying a notebook to keep with you at all times.

I want to write on this blog more often, so my first step was to actually put it on my calendar at regular intervals, rather than leave it to chance. I invite you to share your first steps here in your comments.

TIP: Find someone you trust and tell that person what your first step is, and together set a date for it to be done. Being accountable to one other person is important to make this work.

CLMcK

No comments:

Post a Comment