Thursday, January 2, 2014

Thinking about 2014

Ever since I was a "winner" on NaNoWriMo for 2013, I have been editing and adding to the 55,000 plus words I wrote in November.

Editing isn't always fun, but I do enjoy it when I find a section of the writing that needs a little propping up. It is so easy for me to get lost in the "story" that I don't add all the other surrounding aspects of a particular section. So editing for me is when I take a paragraph and expand it into several more, maybe even several pages.

I seem to hear the conversations first. After that, I look around and check out the place where this is taking place. There is so much to see, and I want the reader to see it all, too. Other writers say they do a lot of description first, then go back to include the conversations, or dialogues.

Another area where writers differ is in their approach. Some are strictly "seat of the pants" writers and just let the story go where it will. Others have a long detailed outline of where they want the story to go. I suppose I'm a combination of those. I have a written outline that is sparse and general. Within that, I let the story tell the story it wants to tell and I go along for the ride.

No matter which kind of writer you are, please set aside a time each day to write. This is something I need to remember, too. I find it is too easy to get caught up in all the requirements of my "real" job and not take time to do what nourishes my soul.

Welcome to this new year of 2014 and give yourself the pleasure of writing for the next 365 days.
CLMcK


No comments:

Post a Comment